The story is based on Harper Lee's Pulitzer Prize winning book of 1960. It is about Atticus Finch who is a Gentleman Lawyer whose wife has passed away. He has a son and a daughter, Scout and Jem. A Black man Tom Robinson is wrongly accused of raping a poor white woman. But actually, he was a victim of that white woman who tried to hide her guilt by targeting his innocence and takes advantage from racial attitude towards Negros. Finch decides to defend him though he knows that the narrow minded society will turn against him and so it happened and townspeople started putting his life in pain. But he insisted on his decision till the final moment.
The whole story was told through children’s perspectives, Scout and Jem’s. I have to say that this drama movie did a very great job on dealing with the social problem at that time. Throughout the movie, I can see how black people were discriminated and being judged as inferior to the white. The black people were insulted only because of their “differences” to the white people. I think this brought a very big problem to the society, especially when children absorbed all the wrong attitudes which are going to continue extending social discrimination problem in future. I really like the way the director chose to show his message through the movie; when it came to the final moment of the movie, when the trial was almost forgotten, it wasn’t neglected the center theme of the movie; the certain social discrimination. He continued portray the social problem through many scenes. And I think he successfully did this movie became an important tool to display the civil right movement in America at that time.
Personally, I really like this film. Though some people might think it is boring and too serious. But I love its realistic elements combined with thriller and comedy in the same time. Above all, I can learn some facts about racism and social discrimination of America which were fully portrayed in the movie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment